Image source: Pixabay
Storage is a crucial part of any embedded system, especially given the level of intelligence and features manufacturers are embedding into smaller devices.
A Memory management controller (MCU) is a cost-effective way to manage all system memory in an embedded device. eMMC integrated circuit (IC) is often known as an embedded multimedia card or Embedded Multi-Media Controller. It’s actually a computer chip that has many functions, which makes it useful for almost any kind of small computer system. In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about eMMC IC.
- 1 What is eMMC IC and what does it do?
- 2 What is the purpose of eMMC?
- 3 Structure and functionality of eMMC
- 4 eMMC IC working principle
- 5 Can I use eMMC as a separate memory device?
- 6 Key Features of eMMC IC
- 7 Limitations of eMMC IC
- 8 Technical specifications of eMMC IC
- 9 How fast is eMMC IC?
- 10 Other factors to look for when buying eMMC IC
- 11 Is eMMC upgradable?
- 12 Who should buy eMMC IC?
- 13 Does eMMC degrade over time?
- 14 Where to buy eMMC IC
- 15 Key takeaway
What is eMMC IC and what does it do?
eMMC stands for embedded multimedia memory card. It’s actually a computer chip that has many functions, which makes it useful for almost any kind of small computer system.
It’s a self-contained device that can fit in a tiny chip, making it easy to place almost anywhere.
And with the right programming, you can access data on the eMMC chip just like you would on a normal hard drive.
eMMC is usually implemented as a small removable card that plugs into a dedicated slot on the system.
It’s used in a number of devices, including smartphones, computers, digital cameras, tablets, and other devices.
What is the purpose of eMMC?
The purpose of eMMC is to provide a standardized and low-cost storage option for embedded systems.
The eMMC IC manages non-volatile storage, data integrity, and security in an embedded device.
It also manages the user interface, data logging, and even software upgrades.
The eMMC IC lets you store all your software and data in one place, making it easy to update and manage the device.
Structure and functionality of eMMC
What does an eMMC look like and how is it able to function?
To find the answer, we will have to look at the physical structure and design of this storage device.
In terms of appearance, it looks like a small memory card or a USB flash drive.
The size of the memory module can vary depending on the manufacturer, but in general, it is about 15 mm x 11 mm x 1.5 mm thick and has a capacity of 8 GB to 64 GB.
Controller – manages all operations with data; Flash memory – stores all your data; Voltage regulator – provides power to the entire module; Connector – allows you to connect the module to a device or computer; JTAG connector – allows you to connect a special adapter and access all information on the eMMC chip.
eMMC memory is similar to other flash memory, but with one important difference.
It has an embedded controller that manages the memory and makes it easier to use.
The controller is responsible for controlling the reading and writing of data and acts like a ROM controller, ROM being a non-volatile memory. eMMC memory is designed to be used in small embedded computers that don’t have the space or resources to use a full-blown computer. It is typically used as the primary storage device in embedded systems and is connected to the host computer through a standard interface such as a USB port.
eMMC IC working principle
How does the eMMC integrated circuit work?
This storage chip is able to execute its functions majorly because of two key components.
These are the controller and the NAND flash memory.
Keep in mind that both these components exist within the integrated circuit chip.
The IC, which contains the two components then connects to the main device that you are using.
It can be a computer, mobile device, or any other high-level device.
The controller of the eMMC IC is responsible for feeding data into the storage.
The size of data to be stored will depend on the capacity of the eMMC.
This is why when buying this chip, it is important to consider its storage capacity and even your operational data capacity.
Since the data has been stored, the CPU of the device that you are using will focus on executing other essential or sensitive tasks and responsibilities.
Can I use eMMC as a separate memory device?
You can use an eMMC as additional storage space for your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
You can also install it on any device that has an SD card slot, such as digital cameras and other devices with removable storage.
In addition, you can install it yourself if you have basic skills in repair and assembly of electronic devices.
If you want to do this, then be sure to buy only original equipment (OEM) modules with good technical characteristics and long warranty period (up to two years).
To access information from an eMMM module using standard computer hardware tools, we need special adapters that allow us not only read information from it but also write new data.
In addition, there are several special software tools that make it possible to recover information from eMMC memory and restore deleted files.
Key Features of eMMC IC
– Low cost – eMMC is often used in cheap devices, but is also used in expensive devices such as cellphones and tablets.
– Low power consumption – The operating voltage of eMMC IC is 5V, which is low enough to be powered by a single AA or AAA battery.
– Reliability – eMMC IC is more reliable than other types of flash memory, making it a good option for devices that are used heavily and stored for extended periods of time.
– Uses a standard interface – eMMC IC uses a standard, industry-standard interface such as USB, SD Card, or SATA for connecting it to a host computer.
– System scalability – eMMC IC supports hot plugging, which allows you to access the data on the device without turning off the power.
-Compact size and design- eMMC IC is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, and has a storage capacity of up to 512GB.
– Fast read and write speeds – eMMC supports fast speed data transfer via its built-in DMA controller.
– Supports booting from flash memory – eMMC supports booting from flash memory, allowing you to use it as a programmable ROM device.
Limitations of eMMC IC
Speed-The main limitation associated with eMMC is speed. eMMC is slower than other types of non-volatile memory, such as SRAM and flash memory. Because of its slower speed, eMMC is not suitable for applications that require fast data transfer rates.
– Small storage capacity – The storage capacity of eMMC is limited to 512GB, which may not be sufficient for applications that require a large amount of storage space.
– Limited number of I/O pins – The number of pins available on an eMMC IC is limited to 20 pins. This makes it difficult to use eMMC in applications that have a large number of I/O pins.
Technical specifications of eMMC IC
– Storage capacity – The storage capacity of eMMC ICs vary, but the typical capacity is 32GB though it can go uo to 32GB
– Interface – eMMC ICs use standard interfaces like USB, SD, or SATA.
– Operating temperature- The operating temperature of eMMC ICs vary, but they can operate at temperatures as low as -40°C and as high as 85°C.
– Data retention – eMMC ICs have a finite lifespan and will eventually wear out.
How fast is eMMC IC?
Speed is one of the key issues that we have constantly mentioned in the article.
How fast is it?
According to the Windows Central website, eMMC ICs have the capacity of hitting transfer speeds of up to 400Mbs/s.
While this figures may appear impressive, this does not negate the fact that an average eMMC is still lower than most of its alternatives.
The good news is manufacturers have been [putting serious efforts towards improving the transfer speeds of eMMC.
Other factors to look for when buying eMMC IC
– ECC : Error-correcting code (ECC) is a data-correction mechanism used in computers to reduce the number of incorrect bits in data transmission. It can be used in a flash memory controller to correct bit errors.
– Host controller interface: The host controller interface is the interface used to connect the eMMC IC to the host computer. The most common host controller interfaces are SD, USB, and SATA.
-Cost per GB: The cost per gigabyte of an eMMC IC varies, but most eMMC ICs cost $0.25 to $0.35 per GB. However, the cost may vary depending on the manufacturer or supplier.
– Package type: The package type of an eMMC IC is the physical form of the chip. The most common package types are SOIC (small outline integrated circuit), LQFP (lead quad flat pack), and TQFP (thin quad flat pack).
– Size: The physical size of an eMMC IC is measured in millimeters squared, with a typical size being 8 x 20mm.
Is eMMC upgradable?
eMMC is not as easy to upgrade as a hard drive, but it can be done.
You can replace the eMMC chip in your device with an upgraded version, but you need to make sure that the new chip can fit and that the device supports it.
Who should buy eMMC IC?
Am I the right person to buy the eMMC chip for storage?
If you are building a portable device and would like to install an ideal storage solution, then this chip is perfect for you.’
It is also a perfect storage solution for someone whose device does not execute heavy functionalities. maybe you just do some light browsing and computing.
Do you depend on cloud storage solutions? Chances are you don’t require a heavy and complex physical storage device. And eMMC will against save the day
From these few examples, you can easily tell whether you are a perfect candidate for the eMMC or not.
Does eMMC degrade over time?
The issue is not even about the physical degradation of the eMMC IC chip. It is about the capability of the eMMC to keep up with the growing technology.
New devices keep coming up with new storage technologies. And for a storage device to be relevant, it should be able to compete with the latest technology.
The good news is that eMMC can compete with the latest technology and you can use it to store your files even in future devices.
A better question is what happens to the eMMC if your device is not able to support the latest technology?
What happens if you need a new storage device in future? Will you have to upgrade your old eMMC?
If you are worried about this, then you should look for a storage solution that can be upgraded.
Where to buy eMMC IC
eMMC ICs are available on a wide range of online stores and manufacturers.
You can also check out online forums and communities for more recommendations. Before you buy an eMMC IC, make sure that it can fit in your device and that it supports the operating system that you are using.
You also need to make sure that the device you want to buy is genuine and has been tested and certified by a third-party laboratory. It’s important to check the eMMC IC supplier to avoid buying counterfeit products.
You can also check if the supplier is a member of any industry associations that promote eMMC IC industry standards.
And if you want to buy eMMC in China, consider choosing ICRFQ.
We are a reputable sourcing agent for electronic components in China.
eMMC IC is one of the products on our catalog list. We will source it from reputable IC manufacturers in China and deliver it to you.
All you need is to contact us and place your order.
You now know what eMMC is and how it works. You also know what to look for when buying an eMMC IC.
eMMC is a popular storage solution, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding one that fits your needs.
Also, keep in mind that choosing a reliable eMMC manufacturer is crucial to avoid counterfeits.
Otherwise, we as a reliable eMMC distributor in China have all that it takes to ensure that you get the best.
If you want to find more Electronic Components Distributors, please check out the following articles: