Image source Behance
When you reset a circuit breaker or switch, it should go back to its original state. This is to prevent the risk of tripping it again by mistake. But in some cases, resetting a breaker doesn’t restore its default settings and the device stays tripped.
So how do you reset a circuit breaker when it won’t go back to normal?
The answer is: with the help of a test button. It is an auxiliary switch that helps you test if the circuit breaker works well.
With this trick, you can easily reset your circuit breaker and restore its original settings without causing any damage or danger.
Read on for more details about how to reset a circuit breaker using the test button method.
- 1 Tips Before You Start
- 2 Why does my circuit breaker have a test button?
- 3 Tools You Need
- 4 Steps to follow
- 5 When Resetting a Breaker Doesn’t Work
- 6 Circuit Breaker Won’t Reset: Why is that?
- 7 How to Reset Circuit Breaker When It Stays Tripped?
- 8 How do you reset a circuit breaker button?
- 9 What are the Things to Consider If You Need to Test and Change Your Circuit Breaker
- 10 The breaker with a test button keeps tripping What could be the problem?
- 11 Should I replace my faulty circuit breaker?
- 12 Where to buy a new circuit breaker?
- 13 Conclusion
Tips Before You Start
– Make sure to turn off the circuit breaker first. It is better to be safe than sorry. – It is always better to work with a helper or have someone nearby just in case. – Make sure you have all the necessary tools before you get started.
– Ensure that you follow the steps carefully to avoid any mistakes. – If you are replacing a circuit breaker, make sure to turn off the power first.
– Always wear safety gear such as gloves and goggles when working on electrical systems.
The test button is designed to help you verify if the circuit breaker is functioning properly or not. You can also use it to reset the circuit breaker by pressing on it. If you have lost your tripped circuit breaker reset button, then this method will be your best choice.
Tools You Need
– A circuit breaker tester is the most important tool you will need for this job. – You also need a screwdriver for removing the circuit breaker. – A multimeter is recommended but not necessary when resetting a circuit breaker. – If you are replacing the circuit breaker, you will need a circuit breaker and wires.
Steps to follow
Step 1: Locate the circuit breaker
– If you are replacing a circuit breaker, locate the one you want to replace and mark it. – If you are working on a circuit breaker that has been removed from its socket, locate the circuit breaker’s socket and mark it.
– Check if there is an outlet on the same circuit. If so, make sure to turn off the power before proceeding further.
Step 2: Turn off the power
– Turn off all electrical appliances in your home or office and remove any power sources such as lamps or other electrical devices. – Make sure to turn off all fuses or circuit breakers before turning off your main electricity supply.
Step 3: Remove the cover of the circuit breaker
– Remove any cover of your circuit breaker using a screwdriver and set aside for later use. – Locate the reset button on your circuit breaker using a multimeter and test button. If there is no reset button, then skip this step. You can always buy another one if needed later on. – Press down firmly on the test button for at least 10 seconds until you hear it click three times indicating that it has been reset successfully . This step will only work with some models of circuit breakers including those that have no reset buttons.
Step 4:Close the circuit breaker box
– Close the circuit breaker box using your screwdriver and set aside for later use. – Close all circuit breakers on the same circuit before proceeding further. – Make sure to turn off all fuses or circuit breakers before turning off your main electricity supply.
Step 5: Turn on the power
– Turn on the main electricity supply using your screwdriver and set aside for later use.
When Resetting a Breaker Doesn’t Work
If resetting a circuit breaker doesn’t work, it means that the breaker is faulty or has been broken. If this is the case, you should replace the breaker instead of resetting it. Otherwise, it can cause more damage to the system and pose serious safety hazards.
Apart from that, a faulty circuit breaker can cause your system to trip often and can damage the wiring system. If your circuit breaker doesn’t work, you can replace it with a new one.
When you replace a circuit breaker, make sure that you buy an electrical device of the same amperage as the previous one.
If you choose a breaker with a higher amp rating, it can cause a fire and become damaged quickly. The best thing to do is to hire an electrician to replace the faulty circuit breaker for you.
Circuit Breaker Won’t Reset: Why is that?
The circuit breaker has some default settings and you reset it to go back to those initial settings. However, sometimes, the breaker might not reset because of some reasons.
Here are some of the common causes why a circuit breaker won’t reset:
– The circuit breaker has been broken and the reset button doesn’t work. Actually, the breaker itself is faulty and needs to be replaced.
– The wiring inside the wall has been damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced.
– The reset button is faulty and needs to be replaced as well.
How to Reset Circuit Breaker When It Stays Tripped?
If you are resetting a circuit breaker but it stays tripped after the reset, follow these steps to reset it properly.
– Disconnect the circuit breaker from the wall first. – Test the circuit breaker using a circuit tester. If the circuit tester shows a normal reading, the breaker is ok. If the tester shows a fault, the circuit breaker needs to be replaced.
– Carefully check the wall wiring for any damage. If you find any damage, you will need to repair or replace the wiring.
– If everything is okay, replace the reset button.
The reset button on a circuit breaker is used to reset it to its original setting. This button is very important, as it helps you restore the breaker to its default setting and prevent it from tripping again.
However, if the circuit breaker won’t reset and stay tripped, you will need to reset the reset button. Before doing that, make sure to disconnect the circuit breaker from the wall to avoid any electrical shock.
Once the circuit breaker is off, you should remove the cover and then look for the reset button. Once you find it, push it with a screwdriver to reset the circuit breaker.
What are the Things to Consider If You Need to Test and Change Your Circuit Breaker
– If the circuit breaker is faulty, you will need to replace it with a new one. – If the wiring inside the wall has been damaged, you will need to repair or replace it depending on the severity of the damage. – If the reset button is faulty, you will need to replace it.
If you find that the breaker with a test button keeps tripping, it is likely to be caused by a faulty component in the circuit.
You will need to troubleshoot and identify the faulty component and replace it. – If the breaker with a test button keeps tripping frequently, you will need to have your electrical system checked for problems.
If you find that there are no problems with your electrical system, you will need to replace the component that is causing the problem.
Should I replace my faulty circuit breaker?
Image source Quora
If you find that your circuit breaker is faulty, you will need to replace it. Replacing a faulty circuit breaker with a new one is necessary to prevent it from causing damage to the system.
In addition to that, a faulty circuit breaker can trip often, cause unnecessary power outages, and become dangerous and costly to replace it.
– If the circuit breaker has been tripped but has not been reset for a few hours, you might not need to replace the circuit breaker. In this case, you will need to reset the breaker and then restore the circuit breaker to its original settings.
– If the circuit breaker has been tripped often, i.e., it tripped more than three times in a month, you should replace the circuit breaker with a new one.
Where to buy a new circuit breaker?
You should buy from trusted or reputable manufacturers and suppliers. There are numerous online shops and suppliers that offer circuit breakers. You can check their ratings on the internet.
If not sure where to find the, consider using a sourcing agent. This is the best way especially if you are planning to buy new circuit breakers in China.
A reputable sourcing agent such as ICRFQ will ensure that you finally end up with a quality circuit breaker from the best manufacturer.
A circuit breaker protects your home from electrical fires and overloads. However, resetting a circuit breaker doesn’t always work. If the breaker doesn’t reset, it means that it is faulty and needs to be replaced with a new one.
However, you need to make sure that the new circuit breaker has the same amperage rating as the old one. With this guide, you can reset your circuit breaker easily and safely. Now you know how to reset a circuit breaker button and how to reset a circuit breaker when it stays tripped.
If you want to find more Electronic Components Distributors, please check out the following articles: