Last Updated on October 22, 2023 by Kevin Chen
Image source Freepik
A series of events in the world of health, education, environment, ICT, and education has affected the electric appliances market. Many things have changed and will continue changing. Another major issue is the growing population global population. Fast population growth is giving birth to an array of many problems. Some of these problems can be solved by innovations in the world of electrics and electronics.
All these developments have a direct impact on the world of discrete semiconductors.
As we have mentioned, there are lots of innovations that are taking place in the world of electrics and electronics. Hardware and software solutions are being developed t solve numerous problems that are facing the modern world.
Take an example of the energy shortage problem. There is a renewed focus on renewable energy sources which are poised to replace traditional sources. Renewable energy sources are already having a major impact on the discrete semiconductors market and they will definitely define the future of this industry.
What is the future of discrete semiconductor components? What are the current trends and what should we expect in the future? Keep reading as we discuss the current trends and the future of discrete semiconductors.
Different types of discrete semiconductors
Before we get into the future of discrete semiconductors, it will be prudent to have an overview of the different types of these components and what they are used for. Simply defined, a discrete semiconductor is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to perform a single function in an electric circuit. Unlike integrated circuits which comprise of several electronic components in one device, a discrete semiconductor exists as one component. Examples of discrete semiconductors include the following:
- Transistors: There are different types of transistors that are classified as discrete semiconductors. They include Bipolar Junction Transistors( BJT) Field-Effect Transistors (FET), Avalanche transistors, NPN transistors, and Darlington transistors.
- Diodes; Diodes are also classified as discrete semiconductors and they include Zener diodes, photodiodes, rectifier diodes, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs).
- Silicon-controlled switches (SCS): These are switches that are made of silicon, a common semiconductor material
- Voltage regulators: These come in two types, linear and switching voltage regulators. A linear voltage regulator ensures that the output voltage remains constant. The switching regulator varies the output voltage.
- Thyristors: A thyristor is a semiconductor device that rectifies the flow of current between electrodes.
What do these discrete semiconductors do? The fact that there are different types of discrete semiconductors means that each type is designed for a different role. These functions include power management, hardware integration, data processing, device security, networking, and control among others. When building an application and a manufacturer wants to include a particular function in a device, all they will have to do is find a discrete semiconductor component that will perform that function.
The above are just some of the discrete semiconductors that are widely used in the modern world. Let’s now look at the future of these components.
Discrete semiconductors in data networks
Data and networking are two key elements that define the modern world. There are various critical applications that are fully data-driven. On the other hand, this data will be relevant only when is relayed through various networking protocols. The two elements are expected to define the future of discrete semiconductors.
Applications such as Big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and IoT are already defining the activities and events of the modern world. Most modern technologies are built on these platforms.
When it comes to connectivity, discrete semiconductors should support fast and secure transfer of data. We are already in the 5G era and we should expect other fast networking technologies to be built based on discrete semiconductors.
Discrete semiconductors will define the future of power electronics
Power electronics is another key area that will define the future of discrete semiconductors. There has been a gradual shift in the generation and usage of energy resources. Currently, the world is moving towards renewable energy and the trend is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. Discrete semiconductors are used in the generation, transmission, storage, and usage of renewable energy. For instance, they ensure that there is a maximum generation of electric energy.
Still, on power electronics, discrete semiconductors will be used to optimize the energy consumption of devices and appliances. Applications that will rely on clean energy solutions such as electric vehicles will have lower energy consumption rates so as to have higher range.
Discrete semiconductors market predictions
According to the Globe News Wire, the discrete semiconductors market is predicted to register a growth rate of 4.1% between the years 2023 to 2030. The growth is mainly due to the expected increase in demand for various technological solutions in every aspect of life.
Going by the above predictions, we should expect to witness major activities from major global manufacturers of discrete semiconductors. We should also expect a bigger market of the discrete semiconductors making it easier for the users to access these components.
Factors that affect the future of the discrete semiconductors market
It is clear that the market size of discrete semiconductors is on an upward trajectory. There are several factors that are driving the growth of discrete semiconductors market size. These factors include the following:
- Growing demand for electronic devices: There is a generally increasing demand for consumer electronics. These include smartphones, laptops, home appliances, and wearables among others. All these devices need discrete semiconductors, which directly translates to a steady growth of the market.
- The advancements in power electronics: This is another key factor that is contributing to the expansion of the discrete semiconductor markets. Power electronics covers all the key areas of production, transmission, and storage of electric energy. It is an industry that has witnessed massive growth in recent years. Renewable energy is proof of such growth. Discrete semiconductors are widely used in every aspect of power electronics.
- Growth of data and networking technologies; The world is increasingly becoming a small village thanks to the high levels of connectivity and data exchange. More devices have the ability to connect with each other and this is where the importance of discrete semiconductors comes in.
- High demand for renewable energy: Currently, the world is witnessing a major shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy sources. Solar energy and wind power are among the leading renewable energy sources. Discrete semiconductors are dominantly used in every aspect of renewable energy.
- The advancement of the automotive industry: We have also witnessed massive growth in the automotive industry over the years. Modern vehicles are packed with sophisticated features and devices that rely on discrete semiconductors. The growing popularity of electric vehicles is another key factor that is expected to affect the future of discrete semiconductors. Advancements in other sectors of the transport industry are also expected to affect the future of discrete semiconductors. For example, electric trains are replacing the diesel ones. Such major infrastructures are powered by discrete semiconductors.
- Political and social factors: Various developments in the geopolitical arena are also likely to influence the future of discrete semiconductors. One key aspect of global politics is military and defense. Different countries are heavily investing in coming up with advanced military equipment. Most modern military equipment rely on discrete semiconductors.
- Health and medical care: The global health industry is also expected to define the future of discrete semiconductors. Modern solutions are being built to combat various health-related problems. Most of these technological solutions rely on discrete semiconductors to operate.
Key players in the discrete semiconductors industry
When talking about the future of discrete semiconductor components, there are names that are also expected to shape the future of this industry. Some of the global manufacturers of discrete semiconductors include:
- Infineon Technologies in Germany
- NXP Semiconductors
- Toshiba Electronic Devices and Storage Corporation in Japan
- STMicroelectronics in Switzerland
- Taiwan Semiconductor in Taiwan
- StarPower Semiconductor in China
- ABB in Switzerland
- Texas Instruments in the USA
Other than the above manufacturers, we also expect to see an expansion of the discrete semiconductors supply chain. The market of semiconductor components will expand to meet the needs and demand of these components.
Knowing about the future of discrete semiconductors can help key players make critical decisions about the industry. You can know whether you are on the right course when building a product or making any other type of investment in the industry. Also, while planning your investments, you will know the best sources of discrete semiconductors and as well as the market for your products.
Otherwise, all the pointers that we have discussed in the article give positive indicators about the future of discrete semiconductors. The growing demand for emerging technologies will continue pushing the discrete semiconductors to the edge.
If you are a player in this industry, you should consider getting contacts from discrete semiconductor suppliers and sourcing agents. This way, you will be sure of getting the right components when it is time to implement your projects. With the right sources, you will be sure of getting quality discrete semiconductors that will meet the ultimate needs of your projects.
If you want to find more Electronic Components Distributors, please check out the following articles:
- The Art of Sourcing: How We Identify and Partner with Top IC Manufacturers - November 24, 2023
- Essential Electronics Test Equipment You Should Know About - November 24, 2023
- How To Finish PCBA Design Process Quickly? - November 24, 2023